Cintha Jewel Miller, born April 22, 1902 - died July 5, 1977 in Adair County, Missouri.

By Jo Anne (Jody) Miller Bresch

Cintha Jewel Miller was born April 22, 1902 to Thomas H. Miller (1853-1936) and Laura Emily (Emma) Fuson (1870-1947). Cintha died July 5, 1977. Cintha was their youngest daughter.

Services were held at the Pollock Funderal Chapel, Thursday, July 7, 1977 at 2:00 P.M., Rev. Orville Shriver officiating. She was buried at Indian Hills Cemetery in Adair County, Missouri.

Pall Bearers were: Edwin Miller, Lester Grissom, Roxy Slaughter, Nolan Miller, Jim Burnett, and Richard Burnett.

Cintha J. Miller was my great aunt, sister to Manford C. Miller, the man who raised my father, Nolan Miller. Manford shared a home with Ethel Miller, an unmarried sister, and Cintha, also unmarried.

I didn't even know of Cintha's existence until the mental hospital she was living at in Columbia, Missouri, declared her fit enough to return home to live with her family.

That was when my parents told me there was an old-maid aunt who would be moving in with Uncle Manford and Aunt Ethel at the family farm northeast of Gifford, Missouri. Apparently, Cintha had worked at the White House during Harry Truman's Administration. The story I was told was that she had been involved with a married man, and believed he was going to leave his wife and marry her. When he finally told her that wasn't going to happen, she slid into some kind of severe mental depression during which she didn't take care of herself, didn't eat, didn't go to work, and finally somebody contacted her family.

Aunt Ethel took a train to Washington D.C. to collect her. The family concluded they couldn't care for her at home, and sent her to a mental institution in Columbia.

As a little girl, I remember a second floor bedroom full of beautiful and dazzling things, beaded and sequined dresses, feathered boas, beautiful feathered hats. It wasn't until I was an adult that it occured to me that these must have been the things Aunt Ethel brought back from Washington D.C. with Cintha, and stored in an unusued bedroom all of those years.

When Cintha did come home, she was moody, had dark moments, and babbled a lot to herself. Whatever was involved in her mental illness, some of it revolved around an intense dislike of Aunt Ethel, and eventually she had to be moved into a nursing home in Adair County because she was a threat to Aunt Ethel's safety.

*By Twyla Salisbury

The Indian Hill Cemetery is located in Pettis Township 61, Section 34, Range 16. To reach it, you take Route H south from Kirksville to Highway 11. Take 11 south to Route N, take N to just east of Yarrow, turn south on a gravel road. Go past Route HH almost to the Macon County line about 3 miles. The cemetery is at the corner where the first gravel road goes east after HH>.

The cemetery started when Frances, daughter of Washington and Grace Miller, was buried on the Henry Nelson,Sr. Farm in 1850. Some Nelsons and perhaps others were already buried there. Hentry Nelson died in 1854 and Washington Miller bought the property. He marked off 1/2 acre as a cemetery before he died in 1855. In 1855 five Nelsons died from what was diagnosed as cholera. In 1884 two of Mrs. Miller's sons, Thomas and Daniel (half brothers), fenced the land and named it Indian Hill Cemetery, deeding it for use of the neighborhood, except for a 20'X30' plot for the Miller family on which were already buried John, Nancy, and Washington Miller, their graves mounded for easy location.>.

Millers, Glucks and Magers set out evergreens to mark their lots. Some of these trees still stand. In 1934 Creed Robinson and George Anspach built a wall on the west side to prevent caving in and erosion aand men of the neighborhood used cement blocks to mark all the known graves. (No names and dates.)>.

One grave is of an unknown alien teen-aged railroad worker who died in a brawl at the camp of the Iowa and St. Louis Railroad employees in 1904 or 1905. He was given a funeral by the neighborhood which followed the traditions of his native land. A field stone marks his grave.

February 8, 1940, Manford Miller deeded another 1/2 acre of land joining the cemetery on the south, free for burial to neighbors. There are 7 half lots with 6 graves each and 21 lots of 12 graves each in this section.

Indian Hill Extension Club in the 1950s held bake sales, etc. to raise money to beautify the cemetery, to fence the cemetery, put up a sign, and to purchase lawn mowers.

In 1970 a meeting was held to incorporate and raise money for perpetual care which has been done. The board consists of Manfor Miller, president; Cecil Belfield, vice president; Opal Magus, 2nd vice president; Ethel Miller, secretary- treasurer; Stanley Easley and Billie Lee, board members. Information was furnished by Ethel Miller.

The Legend of Mars Hill