THOMAS MILLER from History of Adair County.
THOMAS MILLER was born and reared on a farm in Adair County, Missouri, near the Macon County Line, not far from the present city of Gifford. His father died when he was only two years old. He lived with his mother till grown, then married and started farming for himself. He has been engaged in that occupation since, with the exception of four years, from 1872 to 1876, which he spent in Kansas City in the flour milling business. In 1876 he returned to Adair County and bought is present farm where he has since lived. It is only one-half mile north of where he was first born. Part of his present farm was entered by his father when he came to Adair County. Mr. Miller handles Polled Angus cattle, Poland China hogs and fine horses.
He was born December 11, 1852, a son of Washington and Grace (Broyles) Miller. On May 21, 1893, he was married to Emma Fuson, daughter of Albert and Eliza (McVey) Fuson. Mrs. Miller was born in Putnam County September 9, 1876. They have eight children: Ernest, born March 11, 1894; Vernon, September 26, 1895; Ethel< July 31, 1897; Alice, February 3, 1899; Andrew, December 16, 1900; Cynthia J., April 22, 1902; Roscoe, June 18, 1905; Manford C., December 30, 1909. Mr. Miller owns 200 acres of land. He is a Democrat.
Pictured from left to right: Andrew Miller, Thomas Miller, Ernest Miller, Vernon Miller, Roscoe Miller, Emma Miller, Cintha Miller, Ethel Miller, Alice Miller, Grace L. Miller on porch.
Grace Miller was Thomas Miller's Mother, Vernon Miller's Grandmother, Nolan L. Miller's Great Grandmother, and Jo Anne Miller Bresch's Great Great Grandmother.
"A notation on this picture said Grace Miller was George Washington Miller's, Widow. Then she married his brother, Wesley, and had another family. This is the first document I've seen that uses George in referring to Washington Miller.
*By Twyla Salisbury
The Indian Hill Cemetery is located in Pettis Township 61, Section 34, Range 16. To reach it, you take Route H south from Kirksville to Highway 11. Take 11 south to Route N, take N to just east of Yarrow, turn south on a gravel road. Go past Route HH almost to the Macon County line about 3 miles. The cemetery is at the corner where the first gravel road goes east after HH>.
The cemetery started when Frances, daughter of Washington and Grace Miller, was buried on the Henry Nelson,Sr. Farm in 1850. Some Nelsons and perhaps others were already buried there. Hentry Nelson died in 1854 and Washington Miller bought the property. He marked off 1/2 acre as a cemetery before he died in 1855. In 1855 five Nelsons died from what was diagnosed as cholera. In 1884 two of Mrs. Miller's sons, Thomas and Daniel (half brothers), fenced the land and named it Indian Hill Cemetery, deeding it for use of the neighborhood, except for a 20'X30' plot for the Miller family on which were already buried John, Nancy, and Washington Miller, their graves mounded for easy location.>.
Millers, Glucks and Magers set out evergreens to mark their lots. Some of these trees still stand. In 1934 Creed Robinson and George Anspach built a wall on the west side to prevent caving in and erosion aand men of the neighborhood used cement blocks to mark all the known graves. (No names and dates.)>.
One grave is of an unknown alien teen-aged railroad worker who died in a brawl at the camp of the Iowa and St. Louis Railroad employees in 1904 or 1905. He was given a funeral by the neighborhood which followed the traditions of his native land. A field stone marks his grave.
February 8, 1940, Manford Miller deeded another 1/2 acre of land joining the cemetery on the south, free for burial to neighbors. There are 7 half lots with 6 graves each and 21 lots of 12 graves each in this section.
Indian Hill Extension Club in the 1950s held bake sales, etc. to raise money to beautify the cemetery, to fence the cemetery, put up a sign, and to purchase lawn mowers.
In 1970 a meeting was held to incorporate and raise money for perpetual care which has been done. The board consists of Manfor Miller, president; Cecil Belfield, vice president; Opal Magus, 2nd vice president; Ethel Miller, secretary- treasurer; Stanley Easley and Billie Lee, board members. Information was furnished by Ethel Miller.
In The End
The Legend of Mars Hill